Friday, August 19, 2005

Wise man say....

A wise teacher once told me, "If you don't have a thesis, you better figure out why you are writing because in reality, you're probably just wasting my time."

Well, since I'm starting this out, I guess that means that I need a thesis so I don't waste your time. This will be the first of many theses I'll write about, but you have to start somewhere, and I'll endeavor to endow these posts with actual purpose. So without further ado:

There exists a "real world" that exists independently of our experience of said world.

Wow, it feels good to have that out there. Seriously though folks, I become disturbed by the idea that the world is just a product of our experiences. A world like that would be so utterly unfulfilling that it wouldn't be worth living in. Where's the beauty of discovery, or for that matter beauty itself? If there's nothing out there but what I experience, there's nothing to strive after, and I find myself isolated in a world that is inhabited by a population of one: me. Those other people? Really just my experiences.

And heaven forbid that I ask what those experiences are of! Or what I am.

So that's an inkling of why I believe that there is an actual, real world that would exist even if little 'ole me didn't.

And yes, I think that has important implications. These illatives can come later though....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home